Sydney is a big place so where you eat and what you do will depend on which hospital you are assigned to. For scale, Westmead Hospital in Sydney is about an hour drive from Prince of Wales in Sydney.
The Eastern Suburbs have all the perks of beachside living with the cost to match. Prince of Wales, Sydney Childrens, Royal Prince Alfred, St Vincents, and Sydney Hospital are all clustered around the city. You will never be without good food and plenty activites for adults and families.
Check out http://www.whatsonsydney.com/
Royal North Shore is ‘over the bridge’ but also very close to the city. North Sydney has some fantastic family friendly suburbs.
St. George Hospital in Korgarah is about 30 minutes south of the city. Close to some beautiful beaches but the suburbs can be hit or miss so do your research before you commit.
Westmead Hospital is a 45 minute drive west from the city. My husband has done 2 rotations there and we have opted to live in Sydney’s Inner West both times. The Inner West is a vibrant, funky and diverse area of Sydney that we have fallen in love with. Check out this website for family fun in the Inner West www.kidsizeliving.com.au
- Sakanaya – Japanese Restaurant – Crows Nest – http://www.sakanaya.com.au
- Spice I Am – Thai – http://www.spiceiam.com/spice-i-am-surry-hills/
- L’etoile – French – Paddington – http://www.letoilerestaurant.com.au
- Tomislav – Darlinghurst
- Menya – fantastic Ramen!!!! – http://menya.com.au
- Seiobo -Momofuku (David Chang) – Part of the famous Momofuku chain – this restaurant is fairly new to Sydney but well well well worth it! Try the pork buns – you will not be disappointed! – http://momofuku.com/sydney/seiobo/
- Maya Indian Restaurant – Also has an indian sweets shop across the road. – Vegetarian Indian food below, and serving everything above – its a great Indian feast! – http://mayatandoori.com.au
- Concord Area – Near the Ikea is a great YUM CHA place – Pheonix – http://www.phoenixrestaurants.com.au/rhodes-phoenix/about
- If your after nice Korean or Chinese food be sure to drop into Eastwood!!! There is so much to choose from!!!!
- Here is a great website that lists and reviews child friendly cafe’s in all areas of Sydney! well worth looking if you have children and are looking for good cafe’s in your new area! – http://www.heybambini.com.au/Baby-Friendly-Cafes-Review-In-Sydney.asp